BIYMF is the International Youth Music Competition/Festival for young musicians up to age 25 that takes place in Brisbane, Australia. BIYMF was founded in August 2012 in Brisbane. The Festival provides musically gifted young people with creative opportunities to develop their potential abilities and grow professionally.
The Brisbane International Youth Music Festival (BIYMF), 9 th August – 12th August 2019 , will provide an opportunity for emerging musically talented youth to gain experience in competition at an international standard and to perform in front of packed music-loving Brisbane audiences.
The competition component of the BIYMF is for solo instrumentalists, solo vocalists and ensembles, aged 25 years or under.
During the BIYMF, musicians will be mentored in master classes by internationally acclaimed musicians, including members of the Festival’s panel. Master classes in conducting, piano, voice, violin, brass and woodwind instruments are planned.
The semifinals will be held in Brisbane, Australia on the 9th-12th of August as public performances . Venue is TBA. Competitors must appear in person and will be advised of their selection for the Semifinals.
Top competitors from each category will be chosen to perform at the Finals concert. The judging panel will select one work from the competitors’ program to be performed.
BIYMF is open to instrumentalists (strings, wind, brass, piano, vocal and ensembles) of any nationality aged 25 and under .
Applicants can compete in the following categories:
- Junior Strings – Age 12 and under
- Senior Strings – Age 13-25
- Junior Wind/Brass – Age 12 and under
- Senior Wind/Brass – Age 13 – 25
- Junior Piano – Age 12 and under
- Senior Piano – Age 13-25
- Open Vocal – Age 25 and under
- Ensembles – Age 25 and under
Applicants competing in both solo and ensemble categories should submit separate application forms for each category and pay a separate fee for each application.
BIYMF can assist with arranging an accompanist for semifinal/final performances. Please contact the festival coordinator for further details or visit the accompanist guild website at https://accompanistsguildofqld.wordpress.com .
Payment for performances and rehearsals must be arranged and negotiated between the competitor and accompanist.
- Competitors for the opening round must record one piece of your choice with a maximum time limit of 15 mins
- Semi Finalists – are to perform live two contrasting pieces of your choice with a maximum time limit of 15 mins
- Finalists – the judging panel will choose one of two pieces to be performed live in the final at the gala concert where the prize winners will be announced.
Competitors must ensure that a copy of their sheet music is provided to the festival coordinator at the start of the day of their scheduled semifinal. Please note that photocopies will not be returned.
The 15 minute time limit must be strictly adhered to. Competitors may be penalised and/or cut off if they exceed the time limit.
The cost of travel to the competition will be borne by the competitor. Those requiring assistance with booking accommodation, transport or tours can contact the festival coordinator.
Accepted semifinalists are responsible to apply for a travel visa to Australia where necessary and to hold sufficient travel, accident and health insurance for the duration of their stay.
The judging panel is composed of a minimum of 5 distinguished, international musicians and all decisions of the panel are final. The judges reserve the right to withhold any prize or award should the required standard not be achieved.
The Festival reserves the right to record, film, web-stream or broadcast any part of the Festival events. Competitors must grant BIYMF the sole and exclusive right to use of these recordings.
The following must be received by BIYMF before an application can be accepted:
- A complete application form must be emailed or posted to BIYMF along with a copy of the applicant’s passport or birth certificate. All applicable information must be completed and forms signed.
- A DVD recording of the applicant performing their audition repertoire can be mailed OR a link to a Youtube recording can be emailed. Please note that recordings will not be returned to the competitor.
- Payment of the $99 AUD non-refundable application fee via cheque (Australian bank cheques only) or direct deposit. Cheques are to be made payable to Brisbane Youth Music Festival. Bank details for direct deposits are as follows:
National Australia Bank
Acc No: 136979799
BSB: 084 424
Acc Name: Brisbane Youth Music Festival
Ref: Please use your full name
Email for applications: firstname.lastname@example.org